Sunday, March 3, 2013

Beginning of my cookie journey

On February 24, 2012, my son, James, had his 1st birthday.  I immediately turned to Pinterest to set out to give him the best birthday ever.  He is attached to his giraffe “wubbanub” that we affectionately call Travis, so we chose a giraffe theme for the big day.
 
 
 
I previously didn't consider myself an artsy or creative person, but Pinterest has opened up a whole other side of myself. Things that in the past seemed impossible were now within my reach.  I made him a wreath for the front door, time-line garland, cupcakes, smash cake, and even his birthday hat (the shirt was courtesy of Etsy- I know my limits).  :)

Fast-forward to me spending over four hours icing giraffe print onto cookies and I found myself cursing Pinterest and thinking there are some things that should be left to the professionals!  But in those four hours, I found a passion.  Yes- my hand was cramping and my back hurt from bending over, but I loved every minute of it. It was also a huge learning experience that showed me the right icing consistency can make or break your cookies.  At the end of those four hours, I had 40 giraffe print cookies that I was pretty darn proud of!  However, in my haste, I didn't get the best quality pictures.  Another “cookie rookie” learning experience!

Below you can see my first bout at making iced sugar cookies and the start of my big adventure and some other pictures from the big day!



 
 
Home-made party decorations


 
 
For my "good eater", he was not as crazy about the cake as I thought he would be.


                                                                  The Smash Cake


"All right, cupcake, let's do this!"
 

 
                                              Our very blessed and very happy family!
 
 
 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Melissa! I'm a Melissa too! Just found your blog via LilaLoa's cookie challenge. I love this whole giraffe theme! We really make these awesome 1st birthdays for ourselves, more than our baby's, don't we?! :) I do the same...though now my babies are 10 and 7! Loved reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Melissa Joy! I am a big fan of your work!

      The party was a lot of fun to plan and execute, even though he won't remember a thing! But at least it makes for cute pictures! :)

      Delete